I took a shingle, left over from my house being re-roofed. I traced out the shape I wanted and cut it out. Use a cheap utility knife, as these things will ruin an Xacto blade in a heart beat. I then used wood glue to affix the paper and foam board house to the BACK SIDE of the shingle. I painted the area around the edge brown and glued static grass to it. I dry-brushed the areas that would be concrete grey and then painted in expansion joints. I used green scratch pads for hedges and even made a little flower bed. Here's the results
Going forward, here is what changes I am making to the process:
- The driveways need to be longer, so two vehicles can be parked tail to nose in them.
- Add back patios to the bases
- I am going to lightly over-spray the base with grey primer, so I won't have to dry brush. That'll lighten the color up, as well.
- Paint the edges brown BEFORE gluing the houses on.
- Find, or build AC units, satellite dishes, etc to add detail
- I am going to use shingles for my suburban roads, as well.